The Immigrant House is an important symbol for the Mennonites who migrated from the Molotschna colony in Russia to Nebraska to begin a new life in 1874. Thirty-five families crowded into this long narrow building that was built by the Burlington Missouri River Railroad as a temporary home. This roughly constructed building served as the Mennonites first home in America and symbolized their determination to seek out a place where their way of life could be preserved.
Today the Immigrant house serves as a museum housing a large variety of artifacts, collections and antiques. It was built as a replica of that first Immigrant House and was the first building constructed at the Henderson Mennonite Heritage Park in 2003.